East End Runners

So many decisions could have been bad!

Sunday, January 06, 2013

Jan 13 Run: Pam Murray's House

Switching off posting with Roye - today is my turn to try and capture the run and the after-talk in words. A tough job but I have a glass of wine here to fortify me.

Next week meet at Pam Murray's House, 2200 Beechwood Blvd, for the run and Aimee's baby shower afterwards. Pam says just bring whatever you want to share, as we know it will be delicious even if it is all some form of carbohydrate. 

We met at Biddle's Escape (I keep wanting to call it Biddle's Retreat or Biddle's Revenge) for a  a scenic run through Edgewood. We ran past some gorgeous big houses, many still decked out for Christmas - one had two Christmas trees another a golfing snowman! Jan says these were occupied by Westinghouse employees when it still had a site near-by. There were also cozy bungalows and nice brick row houses along the way. Everything looked appealing in the snow. I promised myself I would not mention the hills.

Coffee was long and chatty, even though (or perhaps because) the tables were all higgly-piggly.  Some topics covered (I used Roye's napkin recording method):


  • Pittsburgh's Inaugural GrandSLAM Championship: Fish Out of WaterThursday, January 17th, at the Hazeltte. There is also the regular Moth this Tuesday on the South Side. 
  • Peete's Coffee - Better if ordered directly, we are waiting for Wendy to tell us how to store the beans
  • Restaurant Supply Store in the Strip recommended by Pam and Chris. I think it is Restaurant Depot
  • Chicago as a good place to visit
  • Book Recommendations:
  • Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake, Anna Quinland
  • Far From the Tree: Parents, Children and the Search for Identity, Andrew Solomon

This is the just the report from my corner - I am sure there were others items just as interesting  discussed elsewhere.

No comments: